Desk side Engineer
Job Title: Desk side Engineer
Reports To: Team Leader / Service Delivery Manager
Hours of Work: 37.5 Hours
To act both as a specialist in specific product areas for customer systems, and provide support for hardware and software maintenance calls and implementation requests.
To act as a first point of contact for users in order to assist with first-time fixes.
To assist with ad-hoc IT related tasks as and when required.
To maintain flexibility in order to service the SLA.
To be able to provide coverage for the Team Leader in periods of absence or other as and when required.
- To provide high-quality, highly visible desk side and floor-walking support functions to the customer and log such activities through the call systems as work is completed.
- Working either within a team on site or as the single point of contact for site.
- To install pre-defined computer ‘images’ onto supported Dell Rugged, Laptops & Desktops Desktops in the case of a serious system failure.
- To install or re-install any applications onto PCs in line with installation procedures.
- To perform diagnostic services using all available resources, including the use of other customer-based and external support parties.
- To manage hardware repair through the customer defined warranty routes.
- Open tickets and work with service desk where required including any external support parties for hardware equipment failures or software related issues.
- To update call management systems with relevant notes to aid the customer, the end-user, other teams, and other members within our own team with resolutions, customer updates and escalations. Where no call management system exists, a spreadsheet or other means will be made available.
- Perform basic networking support, including investigating faults, patch, tracing & replacing from deskside to switches
- Provide alternative solutions including a “Box/Hardware Swap” where possible to provide a quick resolution with minimum inconvenience to the user.
- Perform IMAC activities as defined within the customer contract.
- Provide remote support to end-users.
- Provide simple patching services both from floor to desktop equipment and within the comms room.
- Provide simple cabling diagnostic services.
- Provide support with network cabling, tracing replacing, switch diagnostics and basic parts replacements,
- Ensure the Team Leaders / SDM are aware of any potential escalations.
- Complete all paperwork as required.
- Overtime when required for out-of-hours/project activity.
- Update Asset Database systems/spreadsheets.
- Carry out other tasks as requested by the Team Leader/SDM including but not limited to simple Health & Safety tasks within own working area plus regular process reviews to ensure compliance ahead of regular internal and external audit checks.
- Be prepared to provide cover to sites at other locations or locally as required (for backfill and busy periods) in order to help maintain the overall SLA.
Knowledge, Skills, Experience
- 2 to 5 Years repairing and supporting these devices – HP & Dell, desktop & Laptops
- Strong product related technical background
- Knowledge of Windows 7, 8 & 10, Office 2010, 2013 & Office 365
- Able to install and configure an operating system
- Birdstep Safemove Mobile VPN – Administration and support
- Able to support Click Mobile
- Able to support Sybase Afria
- SCCM knowledge
- Active Directory
- VPN/Wireless knowledge
- Can work to SLA’s
- To work as a member of the team to provide the most effective method of service delivery
- To cover any IT related tasks when required within the scope of the contract
- VIP/Exec support
- Knowledge of basic printer maintenance
- Ability to drive – Driving License (Clean) – Desireable
- Awareness of AWS services support with Telephony
- Mobile Phone Support, iphone, Nokia & Android
- MDM (Mobile Device Management) Support
- Sophos Encryption Software
- Service Now
- Network Switch support Cisco Meraki
- Confidence in decision making and owning a resolution to the end
- Ability to work alone with minimal support
- Established skills in specific products
- Proven product related technical skills
- Solid understanding of other technical areas
- Communication skills
- Can Do attitude
- Approachable and willing to approach
- Excellent customer facing skills
- VIP/Executive support
- Ability to prioritise
- Patience/tact and diplomacy
- Problem solving
- Attention to detail
- Problem management
- Lateral multi-tasking ability
- Ability to make quick, accurate, decisive decisions in order for service delivery to meet SLA’s
- Ability to work under pressure as an individual or within a team
Role is based at Swindon and must be prepared to work at Reading. Depending on service requirements, flexibility is required with possibility of travel within the home counties including Mogden & Swindon.
Corporate Clothing – Wear customer attire (corporate clothing) as required in line with both customer and employer expectations.
Hours – As defined within the scope of the Service Contract