Desk side Engineer
Title: Desk side Engineer
Reports to: Service Delivery Manager
Hours of work: 37.5 hrs 08:00 – 18:00 Monday to Friday
To act both as a specialist in specific product areas for customer systems, and provide support for hardware and software maintenance calls and implementation requests. To act as a first point of contact for users in order to assist with first-time fixes. To assist with ad-hoc IT related tasks as and when required. To maintain flexibility in order to service the SLA. To be able to provide coverage for the Team Leader in periods of absence or other as and when required.
- To provide high-quality, highly visible desk side and floor-walking support functions to the customer and log such activities through the call systems as work is completed.
- Working within a core site as part of a wider teams spread through other core sites and field.
- To install pre-defined computer ‘images’ onto desktop and laptop computers in the case of a serious system failure.
- To install or re-install any applications onto PCs in line with installation procedures.
- Perform basic networking support, including investigating faults, patch, tracing & replacing from desk side to switches
- To perform diagnostic services using all available resources, including the use of other customer based and external support parties.
- To manage hardware repair through the customer defined warranty & non warranty routes
- Create tickets for walk-ins and support the user to resolution
- To update call management systems with relevant notes to aid the customer, the end-user, other teams, and other members within our own team with resolutions, customer updates and escalations.
- Provide alternative solutions including a “Box/Hardware Swap” where possible to provide a quick resolution with minimum inconvenience to the user.
- Perform IMaC activities as defined within the customer contract.
- Provide remote support to end-users.
- Provide simple patching services both from floor to desktop equipment and within the comms room where access has been permitted
- Provide simple cabling diagnostic services.
- Ensure the Team Leaders/ SDM are aware of any potential escalations
- Responsible for stock management onsite and tracking for any items under Allvotec control
- Ensure stock sheets are fully updated ready for Audit by SDM or Customer.
- Complete all paperwork as required.
- Overtime when required for out-of-hours/project activity.
- Update Asset spreadsheet spreadsheets & CMDB via Service Now.
- Carry out other tasks as requested by the Team Leader / SDM including but not limited to simple Health & Safety tasks within own working area plus regular process reviews to ensure compliance ahead of regular internal and external audit checks.
- Be prepared to provide cover to sites at other locations or locally as required (for backfill and busy periods) in order to help maintain the overall SLA.
Knowledge, Skills, Experience
- SNOW or other ITSM Ticket-based toolsets in order to have an understanding and manage workflow tickets
- 3 Years Desk Side Experience
- Strong product related technical background
- Knowledge of Windows 7, 8, 8.1 and 10
- Microsoft Office 2010, 2013 & 365
- Mobile Phone Support
- SCCM knowledge
- Imaging and re-imaging devices
- Manual installation of software where required
- VPN/Wireless knowledge
- Can work to SLA’s and prioritise
- Act as a focal point for all work being undertaken onsite
- To work as a member of the team to provide the most effective method of service delivery
- To cover any IT related tasks when required within the scope of the contract
- VIP/Exec support
- Stock Management
- Knowledge of basic printer maintenance
- Ability to drive – Driving License (Clean)
- Confidence in decision making and owning a resolution to the end
- Ability to work alone with minimal support
- Established skills in specific products
- Proven product related technical skills
- Solid understanding of other technical areas
- Communication skills
- Can Do attitude
- Approachable and willing to approach
- Excellent customer facing skills
- VIP/Executive support
- Ability to prioritise
- Patience/tact and diplomacy
- Problem solving
- Attention to detail
- Problem management
- Lateral multi-tasking ability
- Ability to make quick, accurate, decisive decisions in order for service delivery to meet SLA’s
- Ability to work under pressure as an individual or within a team